Aside from family-based and marriage-based sponsorship for green card applications, immigrants can obtain permanent residency status through an employer-based sponsorship as well. For certain individuals, they can self-petition on the grounds that they hold specialized knowledge or skill that is highly desired or beneficial for U.S. employers.

In order to apply for permanent residency status, immigrant employees must first hold a valid immigrant visa. There are 5 categories of visas available that are work-based that can be used in the process towards obtaining a green card. These pathways enable companies to bring desired employees to the U.S. and are considered methods for Employment-Based Green Cards.

In total, there are five categories for employment-based green cards. They are:


  • EB-1: Visa granted to individuals at an executive or managerial level position, with “extraordinary ability” in certain fields of study, or to professors and researchers well-renowned in their area of expertise.
  • EB-2: Provided to those with an “exception ability” in the arts, sciences, or business. May also be granted to individuals with a master’s or doctorate degree or that work for a national interest.
  • EB-3: This visa category is for employees with a bachelor’s degree or for skilled laborers.
  • EB-4: Our full service immigration firm provides business immigration services for companies looking to hire talent within their industry, either permanently or on a temporary basis. We can also assist international corporations to transfer employees from a foreign branch to one in the U.S., or send an employee to conduct business in the U.S. on behalf of the company. Self-employed individuals can also benefit from our business immigration services for any work-related trips to the States.
  • EB-5: This is a specialty visa for select investors of U.S. companies that meet certain requirements. Some of these requirements include that the investor makes an investment of $500,000 to one million dollars and creates a minimum of 10 new, full-time jobs.


Regardless of which path is used, we can assist employers in the completion of a PERM Labor Certification Application and file it with the Department of Labor. Once approved, we can also provide assistance in submitting the necessary Immigrant Petition For Alien Workers (Form I-140) with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).